Written by New Zealand’s best-known midwife Joan Donley– a home birth pioneer, this is an essential book for every midwifery student, childbirth educator and mother-to-be. Joan’s compendium for a healthy pregnancy and normal birth covers a wide range of topics, draws on the experience and evidence of her life’s work, and challenges conventional thinking with wit and wisdom. Keep this book close as it will become your “go to” reference book for all matters maternal.
- Section I: PRENATAL – Maternal environment, Fetal brain development, Drugs, Alcohol, Tobacco, Marijuana, Workplace hazards and rights
- Section 2: GOOD NUTRITION – You are what you eat, Vitamins, Weed salad, Cereal/nuts/seeds… Dairy products, essential fatty acids, Transfatty acids (junk food), Antioxidants, Cholesterol, Prostaglandins
- Section 3: PREGNANCY PROBLEMS – Morning sickness, Anaemia, Haemorrhoids, Varicose veins, Benign Oedema, Carpal tunnel syndrome, Heartburn, Thrombocytopenia, Hypertensive disorders, Gestational diabetes mellitus, turning a breech
- Section 4: TRANSMITTED CONDITIONS & INFECTIONS – Candida/Thrush, Cystitis, Genital herpes, Genital warts, Trichomoniasis, Gardenella/Bacterial vaginosis, Streptococcus, Gonorrhoea, Chlamydia, Giardia
- Section 5: LABOUR PROBLEMS – Post-term pregnancy, Medical/surgical inductions, Episiotomy, Epidurals, Haemorrhage, Caesarian, Women’s choice
- Section 6: POSTNATAL – Baby skin care, Petrochemical fragrances, Baby feeding, Vitamin K, Neonatal jaundice, Postnatal emotional disorders